About The CityDepartmentsCalendarsCity ServicesCity OfficesFAQ'sContact Us
Homepage > FAQ's > Questions and Answers
E-mail storyPrint friendly format
Police General

Can I make a police report over the phone?
Yes, you can for certain types of incidents. Call our dispatch center at (310) 675-4443, and describe your problem to the complaint taker. If a phone report is the appropriate way to handle your incident, then you will be asked for your name, address, and a phone number where you can be reached. Your information will be input into the computer system. In a short while, someone from the Front Desk will call you back and take your report.

Do you provide fingerprinting services for outside employment  purposes?
We no longer provide this service.

How do I get a copy of a police report?
You may come into the station’s lobby and purchase a copy of a crime report and/or non-injury accident report for $10.00. A copy of an injury accident report is slightly higher, at $20.00.

How do I get a restraining order?
Restraining orders for domestic violence, neighbor disputes, etc., are obtained at the Torrance Superior Court, 825 Maple Ave., Torrance. Go to the 5th floor. You will see an office outside the far north courtroom. The staff there will get you started.

Emergency Protective Orders for domestic violence occurring during those hours when the court is closed, such as over the weekend, may be obtained at the police station. Come into the lobby and explain to the desk officer your situation. If an Emergency Protective Order is appropriate, the desk officer will summon the Watch Commander. The Watch Commander will assist you in obtaining an Emergency Protective Order.

How long can vehicles be parked on the street? And what can I     do if one has been in the same place for a long time?
According to the Hawthorne Municipal Code, a vehicle can only be parked in the same spot for 72 hrs. If you become suspicious of a certain vehicle that has exceeded the 72-hour limit, please call the Hawthorne Police Department’s Traffic Bureau at (310) 349-2701.

My car has been impounded. How do I get it back?
First, you must contact the Hawthorne Police Department’s Traffic Bureau in order to receive a "release notification" that you will present at the Impound Yard. Secondly, if all conditions have been satisfied for the release of your vehicle, then you will need to take that release slip to S&W Tow.

What are the hours of the Hawthorne Police Department?
The Hawthorne Police Department’s lobby is open for walk-in inquiries between the hours of 7:00 AM and 11:00 PM

What can be done about loud music coming from a residence?
If you have specific questions about your legal standing, but do not want an officer to respond out to your location, you may contact the Hawthorne Police

Department’s front desk at (310) 349-2700, and speak to a department representative. If you desire to have officers come to your location to address the problem, you may call our central dispatch at (310) 675-4443, and speak with a dispatcher.

What is identity theft?
Identity theft involves acquiring key pieces of someone's identifying information, such as name, address, date of birth, social security number and mother's maiden name, in order to impersonate them. This information enables the identity thief to commit numerous forms of fraud which include, but are not limited to, taking over the victim's financial accounts, opening new bank accounts, purchasing automobiles, applying for loans, credit cards and social security benefits, renting apartments, and establishing services with utility and phone companies.

Preventive Actions

  • Promptly remove mail from your mailbox after delivery.
  • Deposit outgoing mail in post office collection mailboxes or at your local post office.
  • Shred preapproved credit applications, credit card receipts, bills and other financial information you don't want before discarding them in the trash or recycling bin.
  • Empty your wallet of extra credit cards and ID's, or better yet, cancel the ones you do not use and maintain a list of the ones you do.
  • Order your credit report from the three credit bureaus once a year to check for fraudulent activity or other discrepancies.
  • Keep track of all your paperwork. When you no longer need it, destroy it.
  • Sign all new credit cards upon receipt.
  • Save all credit card receipts and match them against your monthly bills.
  • Never loan your credit cards to anyone else.
  • Notify your credit card companies and financial institutions in advance of any change of address or phone number.
  • Report all lost or stolen credit cards immediately.
  • Closely monitor expiration dates on your credit cards. Contact the credit card issuer if replacement cards are not received prior to the expiration dates.

    Internet and On-line Services
  • Use caution when disclosing checking account numbers, credit card numbers or other personal financial data at any Web site or on-line service location unless you receive a secured authentication key from your provider.
  • When you subscribe to an on-line service, you may be asked to give credit card information. When you enter any interactive service site, beware of con artists who may ask you to "confirm" your enrollment service by disclosing passwords or the credit card account number used to subscribe. Don't give them out!
Who to Contact for copies of your Credit Card Report

P.O. Box 105873
Atlanta, GA 30348-5873

PO Box 949
Allen, Texas 75013-0949

PO Box 390
Springfield, PA 19064-0390

Action Steps for Identity Theft Victims

  • Contact all creditors, by phone and in writing, to inform them of the problem.
  • Alert your banks to flag your accounts and contact you to confirm any unusual activity. Request a change of PIN and a new password.
  • Contact the social security administration's fraud hotline.
  • Contact the state office of the Department of Motor Vehicles to see if another license was issued in your name.
  • Call each of the three credit bureaus' fraud units to report identity theft. Ask to have a "Fraud Alert/Victim Impact" statement placed in your credit file asking that creditors call you before opening any new accounts.
  • Keep a log of all your contracts and make copies of all documents.

Where do I pay a parking ticket?
You may now pay your parking citations by phone or on-line.

To pay parking citations by phone call: (877) 236-2975

To pay parking citations on-line, click on the following web link:


Parking citations may also be paid at the Business License Department located in Hawthorne City Hall

For further information or assistance please call the Business License office at (310) 349-2935.

Who can I contact about graffiti?
The City of Hawthorne has a Graffiti Hotline at (310) 349-1632. Please provide the necessary information on the recording.

Show all CategoriesBack
translation powered by
Copyright © 2000 - 2014 The City of Hawthorne, CAPowered byCivica Software